Total Pageviews

Monday, January 16, 2012

Shapes and the Bad Cat (2nd & 3rd Grade)

I happened to pick up a book at Half Priced Books...just a reach out and grab without caring what I picked up...and low and behold it was the CUTEST childrens book I've ever read! It was so good that I thought I'd create a lesson plan around it. Let me warn you that this was a tedious lesson but the students had a blast, and learned about shapes, and background, and sharpened their collage making skills. So what was the book you ask? It was "Bad Cat Puts On His Top Hat" by Tracy McGuinness.
I read the book to the students (2nd & 3rd Grade), then we talked about geometric shapes, organic shapes, background and foreground, collage and of course we went over scissor rules and how to use a glue stick. I demonstrated how to draw the body of the cat on black paper using a construction paper crayon. I had circles for them to trace, we know how aggravating it is to free hand a circle.
Then we made circles for the eyes, a top hat, the nose, mouth and teeth. The background they created on their own. For second grade we labeled each part of the cat so we'd be able to put it together. This took 5 - 45 minute classes to finish, but let me show you how awesome they are. WARNING: You may be overwhelmed by cuteness.