Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Mondrian Cactus (Kindergarten & 1st Grade)

Let me introduce you to the Mondrian Cactus.  This year's theme is Western, so I came up with a lesson that combines Mondrian with the Saguaro Cactus and Collage.  It turned out great!

First I began by reading "The Seed & The Giant Saguaro"by Jennifer Ward.  Then we talked about the artist Mondrian and how he used Geometric shapes, vertical and horizontal lines, and primary colors in his work.  

Next we traced around a cactus template.  I gave the students glue sticks, and pre-cut geometric shapes, and black lines.  The students glued the shapes and lines onto their cactus.





Next we cut out the cactus and glued them onto blue paper.  We talked about what a background was and what kinds of things lived in the desert.  Then I gave students oil pastels and the created their backgrounds.





The results were amazing!  They did such a great job!  Kudos Kinder and 1st grade!